Sunday, March 23, 2008

Holy Cow, what a week!

So instead of a movie day yesterday, I spent most of the day moving boxes and things from one storage space to a new one. A guy who was moving out of the storage facility hit a sprinkler head and the place flooded.

The guy at the storage place has no concept of how to give people the information they need to do what needs to be done...The first message was that there had been an "incident" and that I should call. Sounded like someone had broken in, so I figured I couldn't really do anything about it that day. The second message the next day said that "there was water involved" and I should come asap. I went in after the second message and they guy told me they would need for me to move all the stuff out so they could inspect the space. I went in before work and I had already gone into the space and it didn't look wet at all. I couldn't smell anything or find water where it seemed most logical that it would be. There was no way I could move all that stuff alone in the short time I had before work, so I told them I would come in on Saturday. He was shocked, like, "Don't you care?" and I thought, "Well, if it is already ruined, I can't change that. I will deal with the consequences on Saturday."

So I went to the space yesterday with my mother where a woman finally gave me information. The water was seeping in from the back corner and they were worried about mold. She told me they would give me plastic bags, boxes and another storage space to move my stuff to (I didn't want to move it all out into the hallway and then have to move it back where water might seep in...). I spent most of the day moving boxes until I could hardly move anymore. I trying not to look at all the stuff, but I decided to CLEARLY mark the boxes that weren't already marked. So I found a purple marker in the first box, opened the lid and marked the boxes as best I could with a L, M, H for light, medium or heavy. A lot of the boxes were marked with things like "Old CRAP" or "1990s Crap" or "Really Old WEIRD Crap". But that helps me know what to expect. I did find some important boxes with papers and things from HS or my childhood. I found my AAS degree and HS Diploma, my HS yearbook and some of the writing I had done in high school.

This will continue to be a project, but the good news was that there didn't appear to be any water in the space. Whew.

No comments: